Friday, June 7, 2019

HAZRAT KHIZR (A.S.)


Hazrat Khizr was not a prophet but was a scholar who was given knowledge by Allah (s.w.t.). Hazrat Musa represented the Jurisprudential (“Tash’riie’”) leadership while Hazrat Khizr represented the Creational or Universal (“Tak’wini”) leadership. Consequently, Hazrat Musa objected to the actions of Hazrat Khizr which were against “Tash’rie” or Jurisprudence (Religious Laws). He acted according to the wishes of Allah (s.w.t.)

It was revealed to Hazrat Musa (a.s.) that there was a man who had vast knowledge than him. He prayed to Allah about his willingness to meet that person (Hazrat Khizr). The story of Hazrat Khizr has been stated in Surah al-Kahf from Ayat 60 to Ayat 82 as narrated below:

“Then they met one of Our servants who had received Blessings and Knowledge from Us. Musa asked him, “Can I follow you so that you will teach me the guidance that you have received?” He replied, “You will not be able to have patience with me. How can you remain patient with that of which you did not have complete information?” Musa said, “If Allah wishes, you will find me patient and I shall not disobey any of your orders.” He said to Musa, “If you follow me, do not ask me about anything until I tell you the story about it.

They started their journey and some time later they embarked on a boat in which he made a hole. Musa asked, “Did you make hole to drown the people on board? This is certainly very strange>” He said, “Did I not tell you that you would not be able to remain patient with me?” Musa said, “Please, forgive my forgetfulness. Do not oblige me with what is difficult for me to endure” They continued in their journey until they met a young boy whom he killed. Musa said, “How could you murder an innocent soul? This is, certainly, a horrifying act.” He responded, “Did I not tell you that you would not be able to remain patient with me? Musa said, “If I ask such questions again, abandon me; you will have enough reason to do so.” They continued their journey again until they reached a town. They asked the people there for food, but no one accepted them as guests. They found there a wall of a house which was on the verge of tumbling to the ground. The companion of Musa repaired that wall. Musa said, “You should have received some money for your labor.”

He replied, “This is where we should depart from one another. I shall give an explanation to you for all that I have done for which you could not remain patient.” “The boat belonged to some destitute people who were using it as a means of their living in the sea. The king had imposed a certain amount of tax on every (undamaged)boat. I damaged it so that they would not have to pay the tax.” “The young boy had very faithful parents. We were afraid that out of love for him they would lose their faith in Allah and commit rebellion so We decided that their Lord should replace him by a better and more virtuous son.” “The tumbling wall belonged to two orphans in the town whose father was a righteous person. Underneath the wall there was a treasure that belonged to them. Your Lord wanted the orphans to find the treasure through the Mercy of your Lord when they mature. I did not repair the wall out of my own desire. These were the explanations of my deeds about which you could not remain patient.”

Lessons to be learned from this story are: the pursuit of knowledge is important for everyone, the essence of the Divine knowledge is servitude and submission to Allah, acquisition of knowledge should be to practice it, avoid haste and be patient, there are apparent and innate feature of every affair, confess the reality, parent’s faith impacts the children, hurting the parents shortens the life-span, people become enemy of the things they do not know, the courteous behavior of students before a teacher.

The treasure of the orphans referred to in the story, was in fact a “Golden Tablet” as stated by the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.) “It is surprising why a person who believes in Allah’s decrees becomes grievous. It is amazing why a person who is sure of the death, is happy; who is certain of Reckoning, is neglectful; who is certain of sustenance, troubles himself more than the common; and who is assured of the change of the world but he trusts in it.” (Majma-ul-Bayan)

                Source: The Glorious Qur’an (Urdu translation) – Tafsir-e-Namouna by Ayatollah Nasir                                   Makarem Shirazi

No comments:

Post a Comment