Monday, August 16, 2021

ZUHAIR IBN QAIN AL-BAJALI (R.A.)

 

History does not communicate sufficient information about Zuhair ibn Qain’s early life in Kufa. He was known to be in the Usmani camp against Imam Husayn (a.s.) He tried to avoid direct contact with Imam Husayn (a.s.) and he would camp away from the Imam Husayn (a.s.)’s camp. He was a noble warrior.

In one of the travels, it so happened that his camp was near Imam (a.s.)’s camp. Imam Husayn’s messenger came and informed Zuhair that the Imam wish to meet him. Dillam binte Amr, his wife, was present there and said, ‘Glory be to Allah, the son of the Prophet wishes to see you and you refuse to go. At least see what Husayn has to say. “Heeding this counsel, he crossed over to Imam Husayn (a.s.)’s side. Before long he returned looking grim and solemn. He ordered his tent to be relocated to Imam Husayn side. He turned towards his wife and said, “I release you from matrimony. Return to your family. I do not want to be responsible for any distress and misfortune befall you.” Then Zuhair declared, “I have decided to accompany Hussain (a.s.). I will sacrifice my life to save him.” His wife sobbed bitterly and bid farewell to Zuhair saying, “May Allah help you in your affair and attract only goodness and virtues towards you. My only plea is that you remember me on the Day of Resurrection in front of Hussain’s grand father Muhammad (s.a.w.a.s.).” Then Zuhair turned towards his companions and said, “Those of you who hold me dear may accompany me.”

On the Day of Ashura, while defending Habib ibn Mazahir, Zuhair truly and completely described his position he said, “By Allah! Neither have I ever written to Husayn (a.s.) offering my help nor have I ever pledged him my support. It was, but sheer coincidence, when we met on the way. When I saw Husayn (a.s.), I was reminded of the Prophet (s.a.w.a.s.) and his sinless Progeny. I realized that Husayn (a.s.) was a victim of hatred and animosity. I then decided to join his army, assist him in his cause and sacrifice my life to safeguard his. I did this to observe the rights of Allah and His Prophet (s.a.w.a.s.) on me.

When Imam Husayn (a.s.) released all companions from his allegiance, Zuhair delivered a speech which was mentioned by Imam -E-Zamana (a.t.f.s.) in “Ziarat of Martyrs” saying, “Peace be on Zuhair, the one who when permitted by Imam Husayn (a.s.) to return, said thus, “By Allah we shall never forsake you! Should we desert the Prophet’s son, leave him amidst the enemies, and save ourselves? May we never witness such a day!” (Kalamat al-Imam al-Mahdi page 27) By Allah! I prefer to be killed once, then get resurrected, then get killed again, and repeated this a thousand times, in order that you and the youths from your family may survive. “On hearing this, Imam Husayn (a.s.) said, “May Allah (s.w.t.) reward you.” (Behar al-Anwar v 44 pg. 316)  

On the Day of Ashura, Zuhair addressed the Yazid’s army, “O people of Kufa! Fear Allah’s chastisement! I am responsible as a Muslim to counsel you. For surely Allah has tested us through the Prophet (s.a.w.a.s.) and his Progeny (a.s.). We invite all of you to help Husayn (a.s.) and disassociate from Yazid with whom you will only experience ignominy and disgrace.”

It was Zohar prayer time. Despite requesting for recess for prayers, the Yazidi army continued the aggression. Hence Imam Husayn decided to perform “Namaz-e-Khauf” in which one group performs prayer while other stand guard for them. Zuhair ibn Qain and Saeed ibn Abdullah after reciting prayers in the first group, stood guard for another group. The Yazidi army started the rain of arrows. These two brave companions requested permission from Imam Husain to stand in front of the Imam and shield him while he prays. By the time the prayer was finished, both fell on the ground.

Sources: The Event of Taff, The earliest historical account of the tragedy of Karbala, Abu Mikhnaf, The Journey of tears, Nafsal Muhimma by Shaikh Abbas Qummi, Al-Muntazar

No comments:

Post a Comment