Monday, August 10, 2020

SUPERIORITY OF THE NAFS-E-RASOOL (A.S.) TO OTHER PROPHETS (A.S.)


There is no comparison of Imam Ali (a.s.) with the companions of the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.), Imam Ali (a.s.) was superior to all the prophets except the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.)

The Glorious Qur’an had declared Imam Ali (a.s.) as the Self or “Nafs” of His Prophet (s.a.w.a.s.) in Surah Al-Imran Ayah 61, which says, “Should anyone argue with you concerning him, after the knowledge that has come to you, say, ‘Come! Let us call our sons and your sons, our women and your women, our souls, and your souls, then let us pray earnestly and call down Allah’s curse upon the liars.”

By virtue of this Ayah, the Commander of the Faithful, Imam Ali (a.s.) has achieved the superiority over all prophets except the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.). Since the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.) is superior to all the creation, his self (Imam Ali) also achieves a similar status.

On the 10th of Ramazan, when Imam Ali (a.s.) was on the death bed following the attack of Abdul Rahman bin Muljim, he asked Imam Hasan (a.s.) to call in the Shias who had gathered at the door of his house. When they entered, they surrounded his bed and wept silently. Imam Ali (a.s.) said, “You may any question you like before I leave you, but your questions should be brief. “One of those present was Sa’sa’h ibn Sawhan. He asked Imam Ali (a.s.):

Let me know who is superior, you or Adam?
Imam Ali (a.s.) said, “It is not proper for a man to praise himself, but according to the Ayah:’ And as for the favor of your Lord, do announce( it),’I tell you that I am superior to Adam. When asked why it was so, Imam Ali (a.s.) explained that Adam had every means of mercy, comfort, and blessings for him in the Paradise. He was asked simply to abstain from the forbidden food. But he could not abstain himself, and he ate from the tree. As a result, he was expelled from Paradise. Allah did not forbid him (Imam Ali), from eating wheat (which, some say was the forbidden tree). But since Imam Ali was not inclined towards this temporal world, he voluntarily refrained from eating wheat. (The point of Imam Ali’s remark was that excellence of a man before Allah lies in piety and devotion, and that the height of piety lies in abstaining even from what is permissible).
Sa’sa’h asked: who is superior, you or Noah?

Imam Ali (a.s.) replied: I am superior. Noah called his men to worship Allah, but they did not obey. Their shameful mistreatment was torture for him. He cursed them and invoked Allah: ‘O my Lord! Leave not earth a single person of the unjust ones.’ After the death of the Prophet (s.a.w.a.s.), even though the people caused me extreme difficulty, I never cursed them. I suffered their torment with patience.
Sa’sa’h asked: Who is superior, You or Ibrahim? 

Imam Ali replied: I am superior, for Ibrahim said in Surah al-Baqarah Ayah 260, “…. Show me how You revive the dead,’ He said,’ Do you not believe?’ He said, ‘Yes indeed, but in order that my heart may be at rest….’ My faith was such that I said: If the veil over the unseen were lifted, my faith would not increase.’
Sa’sa’h asked: Who is superior, you or Musa?

Imam (a.s.) replied: I am superior, for when Allah ordered Musa (a.s.) to go to Egypt to invite Firaun to the truth, Musa (a.s.) said in Surah al-Qasas Ayah 33-34: He said,’ My Lord! Indeed, I have killed one of their men, so I fear they will kill me. Aaron, my brother – he is more eloquent than me in speech. So, send him with me as a helper to confirm me, for I fear that they will impugn me.’ The Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.) ordered me, by the Command of Allah, to go to Makkah and to recite the Ayahs of Surah al-Taubah from the top of the Ka’bah to the Quraish infidels. I was not afraid, even though there were majority of people whose relatives were killed by my sword. Obeying his order, I performed my duty.
Sa’sa’h asked: Who is superior, you or Isa (a.s.)
” The Imam replied: I am superior for when Maryam became pregnant by the Grace of Allah and the delivery time approached, she was told: Leave this Holy House for this is a house for prayers, not a place for the delivery of children. But when my mother Fatima bint Asad , felt labor pains within the precincts of  the Holy Ka’bah, she clung to the wall and prayed to Allah in the name of that House and the Builder of that House to lessen her pain. Soon a fissure appeared in the wall, and my mother heard a mysterious voice telling her: O Fatima! Enter the House of the Ka’bah. She went in, and I was born inside the Holy Kaaba.
        
                Source: Al-Anwar al-Nomani v.1 by Nimat Allah ibn Abdallah Jazairi (Seeratonline.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment