Friday, November 25, 2016

VICE GERENCY OF IMAM ALI (A.S.)

Surah al-Ta'ha Ayah 24 to Ayah 32 states, Rabishrah Sadri wa Yassir le AmriWahlul Uqdata min Lisani Yafqahu Qauli Wajalli Vaziran min Ahli Haruna Akhi Ashdud behi Azri wa Ashrikhu fi Amri kai Nusabbehaka Kasiran wa Nazkuruka KasiranInnaka kunta bina Basira” “Go to Pharaoh! verily' he has transgressed (the bounds). Musa (a.s.) said, “My Lord! Expand me my breast! And make easy for me my task, and loose a knot from my tongue, (that) they may understand my saying, and appoint for me an assistant from my family, Harun, my brother; strengthen my back by him, and associate him (with me) in my affair.”

Surah Inshirah Ayah 1 to Ayah 8 states, “Alam Nashrahlaka Sadrakwa Wazana Anka Wizrak Allazi Anqaza Zahrak wa Rafa'ana laka Zikrak Fa Inna Ma'al Usre Yusra Inna Ma'al Usre Yusra Fa iza Faraghta Fansab Wa ila R.abbeka Farghab”“(Muhammad), Did We not comfort your heart, relieve you of the burden which have been a heavy weight upon your back (by creating Ali ibne Abu Talib to help you against your atrocious enemies), and grant you an exalted reputation. After every difficulty there is relief. Certainly, after every difficulty comes relief. When you are free (from your farewell pilgrimage), appoint (your successor) and commit yourself to be in the presence of your Lord.”
It is mentioned in many Sunni and Shia books of traditions, specially Allama Suyuti in Tafsir Dure Mansur and Allama Tibrisi in Majma-ul-Bayan, that the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.), “O Allah! I also pray as my brother Musa prayed that expand my breast, make easy my tasks, appoint a vicegerent from my family, Ali and strengthen my back by him......”
It is said that in response to his prayer Ayah 55 of Surah al-Ma'idah was revealed stating, “Only Allah, His Messenger, and the true believers who are steadfast in prayer and pay alms, while they bow down during prayer, are your guardians.” The Ayah clearly speaks of the excellence of Imam Ali (a.s.). Moreover, the position of Imam Ali (a.s) had already been established on the occasion of “Dawat-e-Zul'Asirah” when the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.) proclaimed Imam Ali (a.s.) his assistant, Vizier, and the Kali or the Heir (Atari, Ibne Athir, Abul Fida, and the others)
Allama Bahrani in his book “Ghayat-ul-Maram” narrates from 100 traditions by Sunni writers and by 70 traditions by Shia traditions that the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.) addressing Imam Ali (a.s.) said, “Are you not happy that you are related to me like Harun was related to Musa except that there will not be any prophet after me?”
To make any fundamental changes in any social order requires physical and spiritual preparedness, supreme thoughts, oratory, Divine Guidance, and trust worthy and brave assistant.

The similarities and commonalities between the above two Ayahs are as under:
  1. Expansion of breast: Prophet Musa requested for the expansion but Allah, without request from the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.), expanded his breast. The Arabic word “Sharh Sadr” means “Great soul, supreme thoughts, strong intellect, and Divine Assistance”
  2. Removal of 'burden' and appointment of assistant: In Surah Ta'ha, Prophet Musa asked for an assistant,his brother Ha'run to strengthen his back and share his assignment. In Surah Inshirah, Allah is reminding the Noble Messenger (s.a.w.a.s.) that He had removed the burden of spreading and protecting Islam by appointing Imam Ali as 'Vizier' or vicegerent. Prophet Musa asked for a vicegerent as Prophet Harun, while Imam Ali was appointed by Allah.

Sources used:

The Glorious Qur'an Translation (Urdu) – Tafsir-e-Namoona by Ayatollah Naser Makarem Shirazi
The Glorious Qur'an Translation (English) by Ahmed Ali & Ayatollah H.M.M. Pooya Yazdi


No comments:

Post a Comment