Sunday, November 22, 2015

SERMON OF IMAM ZAIN AL-ABEDIN (A.S.) IN YAZID'S COURT

It is reported in “Bihar-ul-Anwar”, “Manaqib” and others, that when the Ahlul Bayt (a.s.) were brought in the court of Yazid, a pulpit was erected and Yazid ordered an orator to rebuke Imam Husayn (a.s.) and the Commander of the Faithful, Imam Ali (a.s.). The orator did as directed and then praised Muawiyah and Yazid attributing numerous good deeds to them. Imam Zain al-Abedin called out to him saying: “O you who preach! Woe be to you! You have bought the Wrath of the Creator in lieu of the creatures, while your place is the hell.”
Then he turned towards Yazid and said, “Do you permit to speak that which would be agreeable to Allah and would be a means of reward for those present?”
Yazid refused to do so, while the people said: “Permit him to ascend the pulpit; perhaps we may hear something (worthwhile) from him.” Yazid replied: “If I permit him to mount the pulpit, he shall not descend it until he humiliates me and the progeny of Abu Sufyan.”
They said: “How could this ailing youth do so?” Yazid replied: “He comes from a family that has consumed wisdom along with the milk from their infancy.” They compelled until he relented, and the Imam (a.s.) ascended the pulpit. He praised Allah and delivered a sermon that made the eyes weep and hearts shiver. Then he said,
“O people! We have been bestowed six qualities and seven merits (by Allah). Knowledge, forbearance, munificence, eloquence, valor and friendship in the hearts of the believers are present in us. While our merits are that the Prophet in Authority is from amongst us; the Truthful (Imam Ali) is from amongst us; the Flyer (J’afar at Tayyar) is from amongst us; the Lion of Allah, and that of His Prophet , is from amongst us; while also the two Sibtain of this nation are from amongst us. Those who know me, know me; while those who do not know me, I reveal my pedigree and ancestry for them until they recognize me. O people! I am the son of Makkah and Mina! I am the son of Zamzam and Safa! I am the son of the one who lifted the Black Stone by the side of his quilt. I am the son of the best one who adorned the trousers and the cloak. I am the son of the best ones who circumambulated (the Ka’bah) and performed the Sa’ee. I am the son of the best ones who performed the Hajj and pronounced the Talbiyah. I am the son of the one who was taken up to the Masjid al-Aqsa at night (during Ascension, Me’raj). I am the son of the one who was taken up to the Sidrat al-Muntaha. I am the son of the one ‘who drew nigh and became pending (in between the creation and the Creator)’ (referring to the night of Ascension when the Prophet drew near to Allah). I am the son of the one ‘who was nigh the measure between the two bows (facing each other) or higher still’ (again referring to Me’raj). I am the son of the one ‘who was bestowed revelation by the Almighty, what He did reveal ‘(again referring to the night of Me’raj) (Surah al-Najm Ayah 8-10). I am the son of Husayn (a.s.), the one killed at Karbala! I am the son of Ali, the Approved one (a.s.)! I am the son of Muhammad, the Chosen one (s.a.w.a.s.)! I am the son of Fatimah az-Zahra (s.a.)! I am the son of Sidrat al-Muntaha! I am the son of ‘the Blessed Tree’! I am the son of the one who was smeared in blood and sand. I am the son of the one who was lamented upon by the genie in the darkness of the night. I am the son of the one who was mourned upon by the birds.”


                Source used: Nafasul Mahmum by Shaikh Abbas Qummi

No comments:

Post a Comment